Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day...

I have never really understood the concept of Valentine's day. Granted when I was a kid I loved making a box every year and passing out candy at school. Though since I've gotten older the thought of the day is rather ridiculous. I find it sad that we need a holiday to treat the people we love special and do something nice for them. Shouldn't that be an everyday thing? Not just once a year? Ya ya ya, it's fun and a nice excuse to take your sweetie out for a nice dinner and spend the day together, but I guess I just am confused as to why we need a reason to do that. Jim does little, and big, sweet things that are totally unexpected all of the time. Like send me two dozen roses on a random Wednesday with a card that says, "Just because I love you..." Or he wakes up early on days I have to work and he doesn't, just so he can sit and have breakfast with me. Or he sends me random text messages about how much he loves me and how happy he is to have me in his life. I guess I just take this all for granted because it's a daily thing for us, to let each other know how much we care and how grateful we are for one another.
Jim is probably the greatest thing to ever happen to this world, he goes along with my stupid ideas just because he knows I want to do it, even when I explain to him that I am well aware of how gay it is, he never tries to talk me out of it for his own sake. He just shakes his head, laughs, and says, "Let's go babe."
He will lay on the floor with me for 3 hours every night while I'm hooked up to an IV, most of the time I fall asleep, but he stays right there just because he knows I hate it when he's not close to me when he can be.
He cancels plans with his guys if I need something or if it makes me sad that he'll be gone all day.
He cleans my car, simply because he is cleaning his truck too.
He wakes up almost every time I move throughout the night to see if there is something he can do to make me more comfortable.
He tells other people not to eat my jelly bellies and otter pops.
He brings me an otter pop every time he gets one, and even if he doesn't get one, cause he just knows I won't turn one down.
He goes out of his way to find a solution to all of my concerns.
He always opens the door for me, and if I try to hold it open for him, he simply steps behind me and says, "Go ahead babe."
He mostly does the laundry, and the cooking. -- but that's only because we live with his parents right now and I'm not comfortable going through their cabinets.
Every time he finds a bad ass video on you tube, he comes and grabs me so we can bond over watching stoned people make idiots of themselves or listen to Gunther sing about his ta la la.
When I get cold he goes and gets a blanket for me and socks. and even puts my socks on for me, because I look so comfy he doesn't want me to have to move.
He decorated cookies with our nieces and I on Saturday, even though he previously told me, "It's a girl thing, I'll opt out."
His heartbreaks if I don't sit in the center seat, right next to him, when we are in the truck.
He's the best dad ever, and extremely attached to our little dude that it still swimming in water and breathing like a fish.
I catch him shopping for onesies online all of the time.
He eats all of my nerds and denies it when I ask him, only seconds later stating, You love me so it doesn't even matter babe.... I'll go buy you more.
Every time I have a "blond moment" he laughs hysterically and in between breaths exclaims how my absentmindedness makes him fall in love with me all over again.
He bought me a birthday present that makes me official, I know have a leather riding jacket. I'm officially a biker bitch, or ol' lady.
Sometimes I forget to put my ring back on after washing my hands in the morning, he'll just show up at my work with it.
He loves that I'm getting fat and thinks it's cute.
On that note, he freaks out and almost cries at every doctor appointment when we find out I've lost more weight - I'm just getting fat in my belly, everywhere else is shrinking.

I could go on forever with this list, but my point is, Valentine's Day is ridiculous. The kind of love we show other on February 14th is the kind of love we should show them all the time. Jim and I don't feel the need to celebrate Valentine's Day, we both agree that every day should be filled with love. So yesterday we just got up and ate Lucky Charms together, went to the mall in search of new jeans for me, ate dinner at my parent's and watch Son-in-Law together, Nothing out of the ordinary, just another day we spent together, enjoying each other's company.

P.S. This is a way longer post than I planned.

P.P.S. Don't tell Jim about this post, I don't want him knowing that I actually like him.

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Amber. Valentines day was just a regular day I spent with a really good friend of mine. I loved that the 14th happened upon a Sunday this year. It forced people to enjoy the day rather than the monetary value... though I do love an occasion to stuff my face with chocolates... :)

    I am so happy you have Jim in your life! You two are simple perfect for one another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think we're rather good together as well!

    ReplyDelete